As the Coronavirus pandemic continues to impact our daily lives, we at MHV are committed to keeping you financially safe. Please continue to stay vigilant against potential scams related to this health crisis, by keeping the following in mind:
- In accordance with social distancing guidelines, many people are now shopping online. Please be sure to exercise caution when purchasing items on the internet. Only buy from trusted retailers, and make sure the websites begin with "https:" (the "s" at the end being the important part) when inputting any card information. Also, don’t save your payment information on a website; be sure to enter it separately each time.
- Be wary of any e-mails or phone solicitations with claims of 'immediate cures' or 'vaccines' that may be linked to the virus. Phishing campaigns can prey on a would-be victim's fear and anxiety. There are no "cures" or quick fixes for this health crisis.
- Use caution when reading e-mails that may appear to be from a legitimate source or a government agency. Scammers are already sending e-mails that appear to be from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) or the World Health Organization (WHO). Do not click on any links or e-mail attachments as these can install malware on your device that can log your keystrokes and steal sensitive information.
- If you plan to donate to a charity, please be sure the recipient is a trusted organization. Scammers sometimes impersonate legitimate charitable organizations and steal funds from well-meaning individuals.
- Very important: Never give out your personal information, and never provide your Online Banking credentials including any user names or passwords to anyone. We unfortunately see examples of fraud that should have never happened because people disclose these sensitive pieces of information.
: Scammers take advantage of these trying times by making people feel afraid, which can lead them to make decisions they would not normally make. If you believe you have been a victim of one of these types of fraud, MHV is here to help you. If you have questions, please call us at 845.336.4444 and a Member Service Representative will be happy to assist you.