Ready or not, here winter comes. Get your home ready now…and avoid the headaches later. Here are 5 simple ways to get winter ready. (Take advantage of the pro tips for a little extra security.)
Weatherproofing and Insulation
- Standard Prep: Seal any gaps or cracks in doors, windows, and walls using weatherstripping and caulk. Insulate your attic and walls to prevent heat loss.
- Pro Tip: Consider adding insulation to outlets and switches on exterior walls. These small gaps can also contribute to heat loss. You can use foam gaskets designed for this purpose.
HVAC System Maintenance
- Standard Prep: Have your heating system serviced by a professional, replace air filters, and clean ducts.
- Pro Tip: Check and clean the air intake and exhaust vents of your heating system. Blocked vents can reduce efficiency and even pose a carbon monoxide risk.
Roof and Gutter Maintenance
- Standard Prep: Clean gutters to prevent ice dams and remove debris from the roof. Inspect for any damaged or missing shingles.
- Pro Tip: Consider adding gutter reinforcements. If water collects and freezes in your gutters, the additional weight could rip them from your roof. The reinforcements will help minimize that risk.
- Standard Prep: Insulate pipes in unheated areas to prevent freezing and potential burst pipes. Drain and shut off exterior faucets.
- Pro Tip: Install a shut-off valve inside for the exterior faucet. This way, you can shut off the water supply to the outside and drain the line, preventing freezing without affecting indoor water usage.
Other articles you may be interested in
Holiday GiftsSnippet SeriesUnsure where to begin with your holiday shopping? Gift your loved ones this season with these 5 thoughtful gift ideas.
Young woman moving into collegeSnippet SeriesHave a child heading off to college? Use these quick tips to help them prepare.